In 2018, the Friends of La Leche League Board initiated Mini-Grant funding. Mini-Grants are available for projects that further the mission of Friends of La Leche League. A Mini-Grant committee evaluates project applications and approves the grants. Recipients are required to report on the progress of their projects. The Mini-Grant project has helped Friends of La Leche League pursue its mission around the globe. Individuals who wish to specifically contribute to this program can make a restricted donation by selecting the “Mini-Grants” Donation Type on our Donate page.
Friends of La Leche League Mini-Grants
Applications for 2021 Mini-Grants are now being accepted! Friends of La Leche League is offering funding of up to $2500 for as many as six individual projects which further our mission: to support La Leche League as a resource and inspiration for future generations, encourage lifelong connections with the LLL community, and share the insights and wisdom that began with the breastfeeding relationship.
The deadline for submitting an application is September 30, 2021, and projects need to be completed within nine months of the award. If you have a project idea and need funding to get started, please submit our Mini-Grant Application. Applications will be reviewed by the 2021 Mini-Grant team: Cathy Baldizon; Paula Clay; Anne Hutton; and Susan Lawrence.
More information about Mini-Grants, as well as instructions for completing the application, are available in our Mini-Grant Information document. Questions about the Mini-Grant process can be directed to Paula Clay at FoLLLMiniGrants@gmail.com. We can’t wait to see what projects will be proposed this year!
Friends of La Leche League awarded its 2020 mini-grants to four valuable projects across the globe:
- $1385 to a State College, Pennsylvania LLL Group to facilitate the local group adopting Zoom and other techniques to keep them thriving.
- $1615 to an LLL group in North Carolina for a research project to evaluate providing breastfeeding information via text versus traditional LLL support.
- $2500 to LLL Israel to provide breastfeeding education materials in Arabic.
- $2000 to LLL Maine/New Hampshire to hold workshops on equity, diversity and inclusion.
We thank all the 2020 applicants for their project ideas, and especially thank the 2020 Friends of La Leche League Mini-Grant Team who had to choose the recipients from the applicant pool: Cathy Baldizon, Paula Clay, Lupe Forsang, and Linda Parry.
Friends of La Leche League awarded a total of $6,850 in mini-grants to five unique and innovative projects. Grant recipients were:
- Paula Clay, LLL Leader Houston, Texas, USA, to provide breastfeeding support and information to the Santa Maria Hostel in Houston, TX, which serves women who are overcoming addiction.
- Laura Meikle, Leader from LLL of Canada-Vernon British Columbia, to produce an online Prenatal Initiative Kit for Leaders to use to encourage mothers to attend LLL meetings while pregnant.
- Samsarah Morgan of the Oakland Better Birth Foundation California, to produce a flyer representing the effects of enslavement on breastfeeding by African American mothers.
- Francesca Parisi, LLL Leader in Italy, to undertake an LLL “Breastfeeding Tour of Southern Italy” to expand LLL reach in an underserved part of the country.
- Simela Petridou, LLL Leader in South Africa, to provide copies of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to public libraries in the country.
Congratulations to all the grant recipients who are furthering the mission of Friends of La Leche League. And thank you to the 2018 Friends of La Leche League Mini-Grant Committee: Carroll Beckham, Amy Shaw, and Rebecca Magalhaes.